Monday, May 14, 2007

It took me quite a few years of trying different makeup until I finally settled on Merle Norman. One of the reasons that I swayed toward it was that you are able to sample it at the salon. Usually the owner is knowledgeable; I was lucky to find an owner that has been in business the entire time we have lived here. It is enjoyable to actually visit and she knows my name. Recognizes my colors.

Everybody enjoys getting something for free and the 'free gift with purchase' has actually sold me on other things.


The Satin Lip Pencil glides onto my lips so softly. It keeps my skin protected all day. However, the hubby does not appreciate it at all. Do ANY men like lipstick on women?

And I just adore the Purely Mineral Makeup they just came out with in all those great colors.

It was quite cold this morning and the heat was on; by afternoon...the airconditioning was needed. We have a swamp cooler that keeps the house quite cool. Then tonight, the heat was on again.

I rarely watch television, except for a few outstanding shows...

  • House
  • Law & Order Criminal Intent
  • Bones
  • CSI, CSI Miami, CSI New York
  • Criminal Minds

So tonight I was intently absorbed in Criminal Intent watching Vincent D’Onofrio spin his acting magic as Detective Bobbie Goren. He is a low-key, wonderful actor and has been in many roles that you might otherwise have missed. Which would be unfortunate because he has a screen presence without having to be a lead actor.

Marv, my father-in-law, called tonight; so hubby will return his call tomorrow. Marv left a quick message on voice mail. His girlfriend said that he had gotten dizzy and taken quite a fall. We worry about him as we would like to see him around for a while longer.


I quizzed Marv quite a lot when they visited us last year and he indicated that he had 'thrown away' a lot of stuff. Here is a man who fought in the Korean War; he was a captain in the military; spent time in Europe; vacationed & worked in Europe and South America. But he has no mementos, he won't share his memories albeit in sparsely allocated comments...He had a long & varied enjoyable life. So the memories that he has are not bad; he just doesn't want to share. And it is so heartrending that when he passes, all this will be lost. But for the few stories that my husband can share that he remembers picking up as a young boy.


There will be no photos of this man standing proudly in his military uniform; no photos of a new father holding his children; no awards from his military service; nothing to mark that he worked as a manager for John Deere for over 35 years; no paperwork or letters. Nothing. All tossed as if his life meant nothing. For our grandchildren; his great-grandchildren - - there will be no trace of this good man.


I am so thankful that Kelsey got to know him and spent time with him. She will have memories that she can pass on to her children. Memories that she will be able to share with them. So that this man will not pass from memory completely.


Would you like a freebie?

Tied up in knots seems appropriate to me as there is nothing I can do to convince my father in law to share his past life.


For him, what is past is gone. He has only the present and the future.


You can get the freebie HERE.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the ribbons..ice of you to share dear

timounette said...

Thanks for sharing with us these cute ribbons

xashee's corner said...

it takes all kinds of people to make this world go round, including some that dont share, like your FIL, as wonderful as they may be, and it is a shame but we cannot change them! it gets worse when people around them dont understand or accept them as you do! HUGS to you! and thank you for the awesome freebie!!

Anonymous said...

My mom was the same way! I got a book, kind of like this one: Grandfather Remembers: Memories for My Grandchild (Amazon.com) (only it would have been Grandmother), and gave it to my mom. I told her she could write in it or not, whatever she wants to do. I didn't pressure her at all.
After she died, I found the book. She had indeed filled in some of the spaces, not all, but some. I know more about her life now, than I ever did when she was alive. I treasure that book! Maybe you can do the same. He's obviously not willing to talk about it, but maybe he'd be willing to write about it. It wouldn't hurt to try. I had no expectations when I gave my mom the book, just hope.

Anonymous said...

woohoo!! these are just soooo cool! Love 'em! will be so fun to use..thanks!
-Sheryl

Inma said...

Sometimes people that have live and some things, do not really feel like talking about them as it's hard for them. Soldiers have seen lots of bad things and lots of them don't really want to remember. You may be doing a great job, but that doesn't stop you from seeing certain stuff than the rest of us will rarely see and the bad memories outweigh the good ones. You could be doing the best job in the world that it won't feel that way :( I guess it might be something like that. Not sure though.

Thanks a million for the ribbons they are great. :)

Best wishes. :o)

Sharon aka Scrapcat4914 said...

TY so very much for these fantastic ribbons!!!

Cooksalot said...

I'm sorry about your FIL. My Uncle Francis was sort of the same way. As a matter of fact my dad too. I think of this only because I got a box of goodies from my mom today and in it was a few bags of pictures. Among them were some of my dad's army pictures. I really don't know much about them other than what he has written in the backs, what he did write. It is sad because he is now gone and I have no one to ask that will know the answer.
On the lighter side Thank You for the ribbon freebie. I really like them.

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for the ribbons - these are gorgeous!

CathyK Designs said...

These knotted ribbons are great - thanks so much!

Wendy said...

Your ribbons are fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing them! I know it's frustrating, but just think of the memories you guys DO have,kwim? Hugs,Wendy

Diana said...

Thank you so much for the ribbon!

justrenae said...

Love! Love! Love your knotted ribbons!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Renae

Anonymous said...

These are great! Thank you. ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the ribbons.

Melissa said...

These are so cool! Thanks a lot!

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot, that's beautiful!!!
If you want I've got a little freebie for you on my blog...

Dawnree said...

Wow adorable ribbons! thank you for sharing!

Jenni said...

Thanks for the great ribbons

Shebadoo said...

Thanks for the tied up ribbons. They look awesome!

tajicat said...

So cute! Thanks so much!:)

shawnyrvr said...

these knotted ribbons and the bows on the knotted ribbons are very cool!!! very original paper scrapping. love 'em!
THANKS!