Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A Jungle No Longer




A veritable jungle was rising directly behind our garage and out from the deck. So we called "FireSmart". They were recommended by our great friend-Joe. The service is funded by Department of Lands to clear an area around your home within 500 feet so that you have a fire - break.

The service is totally free to the homeowner. Great news.

This will make the area more open; we will be able to view our woodland friends better; and we are better able to defend in case of wildfire.

Once the guys are done, I want to get a chipper/shredder to eliminate what is left. We have several piles of these on our property to burn, but with the rains soaking everything and then an abrupt dry season... there is no time to burn safely. So I think I could manage to use a chipper/shredder by myself without unduly injuring anybody or anything. ( oh- by the way. Greg's buddy Robert cut 2 fingers off in a tablesaw accident the other day. so distressful & horrible. )

So it is a beautiful day outside and I will be finishing up this post; then spending the day outside working in the yard. With the fresh smell of pine trees on the warm air, the sound of chainsaws ripping in the background and the sun on my face will make for a great day!

I cleared off an area 1000 feet in front of our home, but it took me 3 of the first years we lived here. Without using a chainsaw, it did tend to take a little longer. But I was not going to endanger my life or limbs using one of those. So I took my step-ladder and a handsaw. Working away diligently, I managed to clear the lower limbs up to a height of 6 feet. It has a wonderful park-like setting. Over the years, I have received many comments & compliments about it.


The hubby had actually wanted to clear this area out himself this year, but he has so many OTHER honey-dos on his list that I thought it would take him 4-ever to do this. Thankfully, our friend Joe was talking about his property and what "FireSmart" had done for him.

Marty called from FireSmart the other day after I filled out a short application & mailed it in. I was plesantly surprised that we received a call so soon. Marty & Larry came out to assess the property Monday; and a two-man crew has been here since 7:30 as was promised yesterday! They are already 1/2 way done with it and it's only almost noon! Fast & efficient. I am truly amazed at this and will definitely be tendering a recommendation to their supervisor.

When I went out to offer muffins to the guys, I took Isabelle to familiarize her around them. She had been barking her little head off in distress over the strangers that had invaded her property. What a nut! As I petted her head and gently calmed her, she seemed to accept that the men were not there to upset her. She is curled up on her bed upstairs-fast asleep!

In other news to update - the kids left for Tenerife and will return to the UK on the 16th. Can you just imagine? Five wonderful days on an island with black sands. They will be visiting the monkeys which are reputed to be not far from their villa. Hope they have fun & bring back LOTS of pics.


The frame I used above for the tree-scene is one of the vintage frames that I am currently working upon. Probably will be releasing them soon.

In the meantime, you can have DATED.

I remember the days of Slide Rulers and wanted to make a date freebie based on that.

There are several colors of slides you can use to indicate the date. I have also provided silver & gold edges. There is a date form you can color to your own preference...or use the plain white form. If you want, there is also just a plain date .png file without the form behind it.

Get DATED HERE.
Play around with it. Have fun.

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful. So many choices. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

these rock!! Can't wait to get home and download them...and darn it find time to scrap with them!! :)

LovelyMissKait said...

Love it. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Kimberly said...

EEK! Too many memories! Just like Robert, my husband cut off his thumb this past December. I hope he is alright! NOT FUN! You be careful around that chipper!

jsj said...

As always, thank you for sharing! Very classy!!

Anonymous said...

bob, these are SO cool! look at you making all these beautiful things!

(hey check out my blog, i have something for you there :))

Nicole said...

These are so awesome. TFS!

SAHM said...

Hee, hee - slide rule. My son's gonna learn how to use one for "historical" reasons per hubby. LOL! Very cute - thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE these. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE these. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Anonymous said...

Hi, if you do hve the time on your trip to come to Ireland, I would love to take you guys out for a drink to say thank you for all the fab freebies I have from you. xxxx

Anonymous said...

I remember these too! Thanks so much for creating them digitally and for sharing them!!

Lilaclady said...

thank you for such a cool way to date my layouts...I really appreciate your creativity and generosity! Have a great night! :-)

Anonymous said...

tfs, cannot wait to use these, i also fondly remember sliderules!!
gmaj

Anonymous said...

Love this! Thanx so very much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

What a neat designing idea! These are so cool!

Thank you for sharing.

Shebadoo said...

thanks for these!

Anonymous said...

These are so fun looking! Thank you so much for sharing! BettyJoR

Janine said...

I love it. Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us.

Anonymous said...

Way too cool... Thank you so much.

Diana said...

Thank you so much!

Mara said...

thank you very much, great idea

Anonymous said...

thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Thais is great! Thank you for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

such a fun idea!!! thanks a bunch
-sheryl

Sandra said...

Love your blog site...TY for all the freebies. Found you at
DigiScrapDepot.com
((hugs))

xashee's corner said...

Firesmart sounds like something we need out here in the desert!! i will certainly be looking into it.. thanks for the info :) soo sorry to hear about your friend cutting off two fingers, that is just awful!
the picture of your trees is just soo pretty, it DOES remind me of a park :)
and tho i am not sure i ever heard of the place the kids are visiting, but black sands sounds just too awesome!!
oh and your slide show on the side, keeps rolling and showing those boobs..all i can say is... GREAT RACK lol
Thanks so much for sharing your creative talent and have a WONDERFUL day!! :D

Ramie :-) said...

THANKS SO MUCH! This is fantastic!!!!

Ramie

Being Mrs Miles said...

thank you so much for your dated element - such a clever idea and useful too. You seem to have a knack for that! I was soaking up your blog entry just now... you made me roar, the bit about the chainsaws ripping in the background making for a great day! LOL! Now, on the other hand... this firesmart sounds like an amazing program - I wonder if we have anything like this in BC, Canada? Our Pastor actually trains firefighters here... do you have more info about this? thanks for your funny, warm, witty and interesting blog, by the way!

warmly,
Barb

Anonymous said...

Do you have a store? You need a store. I've got money burning a hole in my pocket. Well, not really but I feel like I should buy a kit or something from you. Your freebies are absolutely awesome and gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing them!

Jeannie

momto4boys said...

This is really cool, TFS. Now I just have to remember the dates of some of my pics ;o)

Anonymous said...

This looks like it will be cool to use. Thanks.

The Artist Formaly Known as Kelly said...

Love them. Snagged them and used already.
LO here:
http://greedzgraphics.blogspot.com/2007/06/part-of-sunday.html

Thank you so much for sharing your talent :)

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for the wonderfull Freebie

Tasha said...

So cool! I used to play with my Dad's slide rule. This would gave been cool on a card for Father's Day (the day you became a Dad. It would be a clever way to tell someone you are pregnant and the due date. Hmmm, if you are old enough to remember these, could you still get pregnant? My DS is two - I was 45!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic!! Thank you!!

Mima said...

Thank you so much!