Thursday, June 26, 2008

Buh Bye!


The moment I wake up,
Before I put on my makeup,
I say a little prayer for you.

The kids are gone and I am praying for their safe arrival in the UK.

We drove with Kelsey – picked up lattes – and went to the airport. Matt traveled in his Mom’s car with his brother Addison & sister Caitlyn.

All of us were suppressing the knowledge, but we knew we would soon part. I was extra talkative, Greg was dumbly funny, and Kelsey was somewhat silent.

When we got to the airport, Kelsey and I found Matt & Company while Greg parked FAR out in the parking ramp.

We waited while Matt figured out what to do about his expired passport and the airline management finally figured out that it would be OK to travel under his military paperwork.

Hugging the kids goodbye, I didn’t want to start crying because then we would be standing there in a pool of tears. So I bravely fought back the waterworks, took pictures and said my farewells. Greg – on the other hand…decided to turn into a tidal wave of weeping! He got quite drippy when hugging Matt.

So we waved goodbye and left the airport.

The oppressive loneliness in the truck was awful.

The kids are gone.

Bye Bye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We saved our tears 'till after security, then I cried and Matt did that burry eyed I-think-there's-something-in-my-eye routine.