Monday, October 29, 2007

No, Not the ChaCha Again!

After watching Blades of Glory Sunday night, we both fell into bed exhausted and looking forward to a good night's sleep. However, that was not to be the case. Greg had gifted me with that horror or horrors...'the fall cold'!

Thanks honey, just keep giving those gifts that keep giving!

Snot running, head draining, coughing, sneezing, body aches and pains. I sound like a walking advertisement for a cold medicine.

So Monday morning dawned earlier than usual as neither of us were able to sleep well. And after preparing Greg his lunch in my fog induced cold delirium, I was confronted by an email from the newspaper wherein I inserted my mother's obit. Turns out that my father had driven all the way down to their offices and "threatened to sue" the newspaper for illegally printing his wife's obit. Obviously, this demented, psychologically unbalanced man is ready for the looney-bin. Hmmm. Maybe that's an idea. Maybe I should have him committed.

While accusing the newspaper of "sensationalizing" his wife's death, he also told them that they had no "permission" to print an obit. The poor girl replied that his daughter had PAID for the obit to be published and that the newspaper, in point of fact, does not go out looking to find out who had died. While she was on the phone with me, she repeatedly pointed out that it was a "lovely obit" and that I had obviously honored my mother by publishing it. Duh.

The poor news room peon had been panicked enough to contact me as she was unaware of circumstances. She asked me what I wanted to do. I replied..."What do you USUALLY do in these cases?" to which she indicated there they DO have an attorney on staff. Good. Use him. Duh again. Refer old, insane, stupid men to their legal representative instead of calling me!

People ask me WHY my father acts the way he does or says odd things. I don't know. I really don't. I had to live with him for 18 years while he mentally & psychologically abused me. And this example is just a tip of the iceberg for some of the things he did & said.

Anyway, I decided to ignore it and get on with my day. But the asinine behavior of his kept popping into my head all day. I went on my 6 mile walk and when I was about 1/2 mile from home spied 2 people who were in their early 20's attempting to break into a home. I called the police and answered all the dispatch questions to the best of my ability while panting and sweating. These young people are ALWAYS walking in this area...and in the past, I had wanted to stop and give them a ride. But maybe they are just scoping out homes to steal from.

In my conversation with the dispatcher, she wanted to know what they looked like; what they were wearing; how old they were; what they were doing. Gee. I'm totally surprised she didn't want their names, too!

Isn't just calling in and giving an address and telling the police that they were behaving suspiciously, that nobody was at home at the place where they were, that they were on foot - walking down a highway...enough information for the police to respond?

Considering that the average response time for the police officers around here is 20-30 minutes, I rarely call unless it's a real emergency.

When we moved here 10 years ago, nobody walked around here. It was the last frontier. We never had to lock our doors or be alert to things like this. We never had idiotic people pulling into our driveway and making a u-turn in our hard to change a flat tire on their RV trailer even after we have posts on our entrance gates - DO NOT ENTER - NO TRESPASSING - TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT. Obviously people can't read basic language.

The weather has been good here lately. Just a little cold, but sunny almost every day. Great walking weather. Cool enough not to sweat too much, but warm enough with the sun on the face.

Progress is slowed down a little on the building as Greg has returned to work and isn't around to supervise. The guys are still putting up the trusses. We had hoped to have them all up in 1-2 days...but it looks like it might take all week. The steel will be coming next week and it should be a pretty quick job to finish it all up.

Our friend Bruce has gotten all the steel & insulation on his roof, but has yet to start on the sides. I don't know if he wants Greg to help him finish it all; he doesn't seem to want to hire anybody to do it as was his original intention. Greg has so many OTHER things to do...but he feels like he should be helping his friend out. I told him he has already helped him out so much, and he just has to quit feeling guilty.

I persuaded (forcibly talked) Joanie into selling our creations on Etsy. Here is our shop on Etsy. 2 Cubbies Jewelry & Wearable Art I am still uploading our jewelry.

No comments: