Monday, May 03, 2010

The More I Foster, The More I Hate People

Well, HATE is a strong word. I would just like to slap them. But you can't slap people into smart.

We traveled to Spoky-Jo early. Got there an hour before we were to pick up the new foster. So I got my nails done while Bud & hubster waited. The rest of the dogs stayed at home because I didn't want them to have their first meeting in the truck.

When I spoke with the owner on the phone the other day, she did not indicate that this dog had ANY problems loading in a vehicle. DUMB. (first dumb thing-there are more)

Secondly, I had to wait FOREVER at the front door after knocking. This woman KNEW that I would be there at 11:00-so why not be prepared? Anyway, I was led into the disgusting interior of the home; in the middle of packing, dirt everywhere, & total hoarders with chaos! They resisted letting me look into the backyard to see where they kept the Saint (and another dog-a black German Shepherd...probably never picked up poo a day in their lives I can only surmise). While waiting for the woman to fill out paperwork, a goth looking 15 year old comes out of the room in the house, along with the husband who finally pokes his head out. Then there are two little girls about 4 & 6 years old that are wandering around totally oblivious about the dogs!

After filling out the paperwork and advising me that besides the neutering the dog has NEVER seen a vet. She wasn't sure about shots (maybe she gave them to him...maybe not) She has no definite idea how old the dog is even though she told me she "rescued" him from a kennel when he was 6 weeks old...

Then after looking at the dog...HE'S GOT A HUGE BUNCH OF HAIR GROWING OUT THE BOTTOM OF HIS LEFT EYE! Oh. My. God. It is so big it looks like a piece of stick stuck into his eye! I was flabbergasted! Speechless! Couldn't they hold him & cut the damn thing down? He also needed a bath.

She proceeds to light a cigarette & bring out a latte in her bare feet when attempting to load him in our truck. And she starts crying. Then tells us that the dog doesn't load very good. No wonder. They never take him anyplace. Just brought him home & dumped him in the back yard.

He has not been trained in basic obedience AT ALL. No sit. No down. No housetraining. OMG! This is a 150-pound dog that has no manners. I shudder.

So we waste 30 minutes trying to get him loaded. Her husband finally picked up the dog & put him in the back of the truck. While we were attempting to put the dog in our truck, the two younger kids wander out of the house - and the mother totally ignores them! They could have walked into the street without her noticing. I feel like slapping somebody! We drive away fast...

Stopped in Rathdrum to get milk & some basic groceries. My phone is ringing. Already without asking permission, the woman has given my phone number out to other potential adopters. I advise they have to go through http://www.SaintRescue.org/ to fill out an application since the owner has surrendered the dog to our organization. This woman on the phone wanted to come get him immediately! I told her that he needed to be assessed & taken to vet b4 the Rescue would adopt him out. If she wanted a dog, she would need to have a home visit, references & pay the adoption fee.

At home we immediately cut the hair off his eyelid. We realize that he has a horrendous eye infection in both eyes! Yellow pus is just leaking out! What pain he must be suffering. The poor dog has extremely brittle toenails. Probably from inadequate protein in his diet. The poo I collect for the vet visit is pudding.

He does come to his name - Murphy. He gets introduced gradually to the other dogs. Harriet goes ballistic. She gets kenneled until she can calm down.

Murphy is a gentle, happy dog. Hopefully after a good visit to the Vet, maybe some eye surgery, and a bath he can be adopted out to a great home.

No comments: