Friday, June 12, 2009

Schipperkes




It has finally hit home that we will be losing Bravo to the kids when they return. With only 2-3 weeks left before they arrive, the grieving already begins.

I don't know what our household will be like without the little "cheerleader". He prompts all the other dogs in the household to start playing, running, & having fun.

Bravo always seems to be smiling. Always in a good mood. Except when he's tired; just like his mommy, he gets grumpy when he is tired.

Waiting for grandpa to go upstairs to go to sleep.

Burrowing under our bed at night; and early in the morning - waking grandpa up by licking his hand, then running over to grandma's side of the bed, waiting for her to "pat" the bed - thereby giving him permission to JUMP onto the bed and sleep a little while longer with his best friend Harriet on top of the bed. He rolls over on his back while grandpa & grandma rub his belly. Half awake and half asleep we rest until it is time to get up.

Waiting for grandma to come downstairs in the morning - usually "herding" me by bumping his nose into my legs!

Things to Remember About Bravo - His funny butt when he has to go poop. His nudging my leg in the library while I'm at the computer. His "tattling" on the other dogs. His bringing my attention to when Isabelle is waiting at the door. His little nails tap-tapping on the wood floor. Growling when I try to kiss him. His food aggression "issues". Chasing his tail. His head (and sometimes his whole body) out the window of the truck while his ears blow back in the wind. Squeaking when somebody accidentally steps on him. Rubbing his belly. Jumping. Jumping while waiting at the door. Jumping while waiting for food. Sitting beside grandpa at night on the couch. Running with us while we go biking. Almost tipping the canoe when he was bounding from side-to-side! Walking beside me all day long. Sitting near me & jumping up if I make a move. Laying down near me while I work out on my elliptical. His single white hair on the top of his back. His brown nose after he has been digging in the dirt. Banging the door open, then coming into the bathroom while I'm taking a bath & kissing me. His love of baths. His eating string. Pulling poop that was dangling out of butt. Baby bird.

Turbo; Mr. B; Bravo; Little B; B-Meister; B-Monster; B-Lizard; Bee-Po; Beebo; Blippo; Bippo; Bingo; Baby B; Weasel; Termite; Big B; Butt-nugget.

Never has a dog had so many names!

Our love for the liveliness of the Schipperke breed has led us on a search for a duplicate. There will never be another 'B', but maybe we can have a little black devil or our own. So on THURSDAY we made a trip of 4 hours each way to Wenatchee, WA to follow up on adopting a rescue Schipperke at the Humane Society. But alas, this poor little guy had no enthusiasm. If he had shown any of the typical Schipperke attitude, we would have snapped him up in a second! But he was too mellow for our tastes. We already have a mellow dog. Her name is Isabelle. She barely stays awake during the day - she is SO mellow.

We need another cheerleader.

It almost broke our hearts to leave him (and his friend Sissy) but it is a no-kill shelter and he will find a good home sooner or later. I told hubby that we can't adopt ALL the dogs in the world. Even though it would be nice.
Found a quote on FLICKR.com
"I met my first Schipperke today - when I asked her owner what kind of dog she was, the woman wittily replied, "She's a cross between a pot-bellied pig and a fruit bat."

No comments: